In this guide you’ll find out about:
Why you should shred paper
Every day, businesses and individuals accumulate sensitive information on paper. Even in this so-called ‘paperless age’, hard copy data is commonplace – whether it’s receipts, bills or printed bank statements in the domestic environment or customer lists and payroll records in the workplace. These are all documents that should be properly destroyed when they’re no longer needed. Why? Here are just a few reasons why businesses have a responsibility to shred important documents:
- Prevent identity theft
This type of fraud happens almost 500 times a day in the UK, according to recent figures, with a record 89,000 cases of identity theft having occurred in the first half of 2017. And although many businesses are now storing data electronically, the notion of a completely paperless office is unrealistic. Therefore, it’s essential that you shred documents that are no longer needed and store those that are still in your possession in a safe and protected place.
- It’s the law
With legislation around information privacy and security becoming increasingly strict, and the new EU General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) coming into force next year to replace the Data Protection Act 1998, businesses have a duty to protect the secure information of their customers and employees. Failure to meet the regulations could result in stiff penalties.
- Protect your staff
All employers carry a legal responsibility to keep their employees’ personal information safe, including health records, copies of photo IDs and pay slips. Shredding provides a far more secure alternative to simply throwing these items in the bin.
- Protect your customers
It also goes without saying that your customers’ identities require secure protection. Any documents containing sensitive customer information should be safely shredded.
- Protect the environment
Using a company like Russell Richardson to shred your confidential documents means you’re helping the environment: sustainability is very important to us and we recycle 100% of the paper we shred.
- Create more space
Keeping boxes, filing cabinets and cupboards full of paper documents you neither need nor know what to do with takes up a lot of valuable space in the workplace. Enlisting our shredding services means freeing up this space and clearing away clutter, which in turn can make the environment safer and more attractive for staff and clients alike.
Types of document you should shred
The sorts of document that should be destroyed securely include:
- tax returns
- bank and credit card statements
- voided cheques
- any documents containing personal information such as name, address, phone number or email address
- employment records
- copies of sales receipts
- photo identification documents
Onsite secure shredding
Our onsite shredding is a highly secure way of destroying your confidential information, whether you’re looking for an ad-hoc or a regular service. And it all happens on your doorstep, meaning you can be sure that your documents and data are destroyed before leaving the premises.
How does it work?
- If it’s an ad-hoc collection, we supply the following, depending on the volume of confidential data and documents:
- security sacks and ties
- lockable wheelie bins
- secure skips
- On your collection day our service operative will arrive at your place of business, at which point your confidential containers will be emptied and your documents shredded on your premises.
- With a shredding capacity of approximately 3 tonnes of paper per hour, your business will experience minimal disruption.
You can read more about our onsite secure shredding service on this page.
Offsite secure shredding
If you have a large amount of paper to be shredded, you may find it more convenient for it to be taken away in our secure vehicles and shredded in bulk.
How does it work?
- Our service operative will arrive to collect your confidential documents, leaving you with a signed waste transfer note.
- The vehicle will return to the secure depot.
- Your material is transferred to the shredding area and destroyed within 24 hours.
- You will receive a certificate of destruction for your audit trail and environmental performance figures.
You can read more about our offsite secure shredding service on this page.
Small business and home office shredding
We don’t just deal with large corporations: one of our most popular services is our regular, no-contract shredding. This is ideal for small businesses or home workers who don’t produce enough confidential waste for our standard shredding services but wish to comply with data protection regulations.
How does it work?
For a one-off payment of £99 + VAT per year you’ll have:
- one sack delivered per month
- one collection per month
- certificate of destruction for each collection
- annual duty of care
- email reminders of collection dates
For more information on this service, see our Small Business and Home Office Confidential Waste Shredding page.
If your business generates a large quantity of confidential waste paper on a regular basis, no problem – we have the capacity and experience to handle it. Our heavy-duty primary shredder can process bulk volumes of material including:
- paper reels and wrappers
- palletised paper
We also offer rebates to customers with large volumes of paper to shred, meaning the waste could turn into revenue that’s put straight back into your business.
You can find out more about rebates for bulk paper shredding at this page or by getting in touch with the team on 0800 294 6552.
The security of our shredding service
Confidentiality is of utmost importance to us at Russell Richardson, so you can be sure your waste documents are safe in our hands.
- We can shred your data on site – and can even offer a ‘while-you-watch’ service upon request – so you can be sure the waste is destroyed securely by trained security cleared staff
- For large ad-hoc collections or regular small business collections that require offsite shredding:
- we provide containers to keep your waste paper secure to the point of destruction
- secure, tracked vehicles to transport your confidential waste back to our facility
- we employ trained, security-cleared staff
- our depot is protected by code-locked doors and CCTV cameras
- we destroy your material within 24 hours of collection
- we send you a certificate of destruction so you can be sure when your collection has been securely shredded